Tuesday, October 20, 2009

To build or not to build?


As usual my greedy ambition is getting the better of me and I am debating with myself the merits of building a small Teutonic castle. I am particularly inspired by this image of a tower with its white washed stone masonry and pyramid roof. I envison a single model, with a courtyard, stables, a main building with tower and a gate house. In my head I can fit the whole thing on a 50x60cm base

Its a question of pro's and cons. Do I have the space to store such a gargantuan model? No. Do I have the time to build it? Depends on how soon I want to use it I suppose, but probably not. Will I use it often enough once I have built it? Almost certainly not, there are only so many times such a model can be used without it becomes a cliché.

The only viable alternative might be modular castle elements, but I've been down that path before and I stagnated, though that could be because I grew better at building models and I grew impatient with the clumsiness of my previous attempts (not an exageration).

What ever the case may be, skirmish fighting in the countryside and ransacking farms has only so much scope... I have to think of new possibilities if I want this campign to be something different to my previous endeavours. Perhaps modular is the way to go, only this time, plan it better and don't use great big blocks of wood when card and cork give the chance for more space within?

A modular castle will still take up room however, and take a long time to build... decisions, decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment